Thursday, December 12, 2013

Why I Love Chiropractic Care

Posted by: Lindsay

Yesterday morning began like any other morning when I have to be at work by 9:30. I woke up to my alarm, snoozed for ten more minutes, lounged under the warm covers for three minutes more (wishing I could take them with me), and then rushed through a shower to make up time.

The pain began when I was blow-drying my hair. I’d had pain similar to this before: sharp and throbbing, contained to one particular spot on one side of my head (but sometimes radiating to the other), exacerbated if I bent over. The pain would recede as the day wore on, surprising me in intervals but turning into nothing more than a slight nuisance.


I was not so lucky yesterday. As I walked fifteen minutes to the train, every step seemed to make the pain worsen. By the time I was on the Red Line, I was almost dizzy with discomfort. Nausea overtook me, and my stomach roiled with the swaying of the car. My headache added to the nausea and the nausea augmented the headache. I counted down the stops with increasing desperation, wanting nothing more than fresh air and solid ground. And, of course, for the pain to stop!

Needless to say, by the time I reached the office, I was a useless wreck. I could barely get my heavy snow boots off and explain to my coworkers that I was feeling at least slightly ill. 

My office manager told me that I could have stayed home. And I was certainly planning on heading straight back there. 

But not before I got an adjustment.

I am beyond fortunate to work in an office that provides absolutely world-class chiropractic care. As awful as I was feeling, I knew that I stood an infinitely better chance of feeling better if I could make it to the office and get onto an adjusting table.

Dr. Dan himself provided my adjustment. He corrected my neck, adjusted my upper back, worked on my head, and corrected my neck again. I stood up from the table and felt a little dizzy, and lightheaded, but in the good way, as if I was floating and free. One of the best parts? The pain was gone. 

As I sit at my desk today, I am so grateful that I work with some of the most talented healers in Chicago. It’s liberating to know that my pain was addressed at its root level and not just masked by a painkiller. 

My story is not unique. Countless people come to The Balancing Center seeking relief. Some people enter unable to walk and leave dancing; others suffer from monthly migraines that recede into memory as they progress in their care. The doctors here strive to bring wondrous healing to everyone who comes through our doors. 

Some important takeaways: 

Healing takes time and progresses in stages: the damage of a few years is not cured within a few days. Like braces remold your teeth over time, chiropractic care heals your spine over time.


New pain might actually be old pain that is allowed to resurface and come to light. Has your foot ever fallen asleep and gone numb? Well, it’s undoubtedly a good thing that it comes back to life, even if the pins and needles are new and painful.

Regular chiropractic care is better than sporadic chiropractic care, just like regular flossing and tooth-brushing are better than sporadic tooth care. Regular care keeps you healthy and out of crisis just like regular tooth-brushing keeps the cavities away.

Finally, when you feel awful and want to cancel your appointment, come in anyway. Yesterday’s train ride was one of the longest, most unpleasant experiences of my adult life, but it was absolutely worth it for the relief and healing I received.

After Dr. Dan finished adjusting me, I went home to sleep off the remainder of the monster headache. Little twinges of pain did return as the day progressed, but rarely and not nearly at the same intensity of the morning. It was almost a miracle.

I say “almost” because while my healing was wondrous, it certainly wasn’t unusual, extraordinary, or unexpected. This is what chiropractic care does and is meant to do, after all! We think of the results as miraculous because they can be so profound and personally meaningful--in that way, this care is indeed miraculous. Chiropractic care, however, is not a supernatural phenomenon that is unavailable or inexplicable: if you’re willing to give it a try, you can welcome some wonder into your everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your commment below: