Friday, July 2, 2010

Unlock Your Inner Yogi

Posted by: KC McCorriston

Yoga, an ancient but perfect science, deals with the evolution of humanity. This evolution includes all aspects of one's being, from bodily health to self-realization. Yoga means union - the union of body with consciousness and consciousness with the soul. Yoga cultivates the ways of maintaining a balanced attitude in day-to-day life and endows skill in the performance of one's actions. ~B.K.S. Iyengar, Astadala Yogamala

How would we be able to utilize the benefits of yoga if our body is already out of balance? How can we truly feel connections in our body if our neuro-emotional system is out of sync? How could we relax and let peace in if we are always in defense mode and just trying to hold ourselves together?

These were once questions I didn't even know I should be asking until I experienced them first hand. I never expected my yoga practice to benefit the way it has from my treatment at The Balancing Center, and I know many other people who feel the same way. I had been practicing yoga for about two years on and off before I moved to Chicago and started working at The Balancing Center. After my treatment I noticed my practice evolving. Not only did I feel more flexible and capable of poses, but I also felt more in touch with myself. I felt more energy and dedication to my practice. Then the doctors started working with me on the foundation movement practices and how I can use my body more properly not only in my yoga, but in my everyday activities. My whole treatment helped me bring yoga into my daily life and really build my practice. Once I had my body back in balance I started working with Emily (who is available to teach yoga privately or in double session right here in the office). Emily brings the focus to the movement-breath combination that is crucial to yoga and really focuses on the person she's with and their needs/desires. She really helped me round out my practice and get a healthier, more personal, holistic view on yoga.

If you practice yoga, and want help from some of the doctors on poses or correct positioning, just bring it up in your next office visit. Also it's always a good idea to continue connecting your yoga practice with your healthcare and perhaps even setting up an appointment with Emily. Out of all the gains of my personal treatment, I know being more in touch with myself and my movements is something I am eternally grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your commment below: