Friday, July 9, 2010

Getting Your Vitamin B's While Only Eating Trees

Posted by: Whitney Compton


Since becoming a vegetarian three months ago, I have experienced really great changes in my body. I have more energy, my mind seems to be clearer and in tune with my body, and I have been unintentionally eating healthier by not having the meats tempt me into fatty meals. However, my diet does have to be intentional. I have had to check labels to be sure there aren't animal products. But more importantly, I have needed to make sure my body is getting the nutrients that animals usually provide. Many people question if I am getting enough protein. Beans, eggs, cheese, milk, Boca products, and nuts frequent my cupboards and fridge now. Up until a couple of weeks ago I thought I was doing great and had this whole veg-head thing down. Then Dr. Taka asked me if I was taking a B-12 or B-complex vitamin. I learned that these B vitamins have no vegetarian source, they only come from animals. These B-complex vitamins are important for the cardiovascular system and are extremely important for vegans or child vegetarians. While we don't carry B-12 or B-complex vitamins individually in the office, you can find them in your local store. However, the Orenda All-In-One male and female multi-vitamins do contain the B-12 and B-6 vitamins that you can incorporate into your diet. And vegetarian or not we could all use some extra healthful nutrients in our bodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your commment below: